The Definition of Ready (DoR) is a set of rules that specifies when a User Story is “complete”, well-defined, ready to be implemented.
The DoR helps the Scrum team identify gaps in the expressed requirements that need to be filled before a User Story is accepted in a Sprint. Stories that are not ready typically cause clarification overhead and delays during the Sprint, and put the Sprint Goal in danger.
- User story is written down and understood
- Acceptance criteria are defined and complete
- Test data or test specification (Gherkin) is provided
- Size of the story has been estimated and written down
- Size is small enough to allow reliable estimation (not an Epic)
- Dependencies are identified, development tasks are clear